During the day working at Manifest Digital, I am the happy victim of quite a few “drive by’s”. Last week I got a chance to help out one of our Ux Evangelists, Jason Ulaszek answer a really good question in regards to a current project he’s on.
Should we create a Fan Page or a Profile?
- Creating a Fan Page is a best practice as users will look for that first over a regular profile page
- A Fan page adds credibility behind the brand, it appears more official/professional (credible)
- Fan pages provide valuable reporting features or “insights” such as fan count, the number of interactions on your page each week, the demographics of your fans and more
- Fans can easily interact with each other via wall posts, discussion boards, etc.
- Fan pages provide an opportunity to create custom applications hosted on your fan page that visitors can interact with. This also creates an additional visiting attraction to the Fan page.
- Having a fan page allows you to send messages to your entire FB fan base at one time
- You can leverage your own personal profile page by sharing posts from the fan page (via the “share” button)
- A Fan Page allows you to create the Fan Page box/widget for your site, that promotes all of the fan activity on the fan page itself (an example of what this looks like)